Going through a surgery can be tough on anyone, but for older adults, it is even more difficult. This is because seniors are at a higher risk of complications during and after surgery. So, it’s important that seniors get proper post-surgery care. The potential issues facing elderly patients are generally age related and they heal more slowly. This means that the period of recovery is going to be longer.
Good news is that there are products available that not only promote faster healing but also makes life easier. We recommend 7 devices that helps to make post-surgery a better experience for seniors. All these devices are not only useful for post-surgery recovery but also useful for general well-being of seniors.
- Wheelchairs – There are multi-purpose wheelchairs that can also be used as a shower chair and commode. This means no more having to transfer patients from wheelchair to commode chair to bath chair and back, since this meets all the requirement. Remember, wheelchairs make it easier to get around the house and benefit their recovery.
- Adjustable Backrest– For a person who is recovering from surgery and likely to spend a lot of time in bed, this adjustable backrest helps to convert a fixed bed into a bed with adjustable headboard. Allows the person lying on the bed to adjust the angle so as to be more comfortable while reading, watching TV or eating.
- Air Beds – Post surgery patients remain in bed for long hours. They tend to develop bed sores also known as pressure ulcers which are not only painful but can lead to infection and other complications. Active airbeds with pumps such as this one help in the prevention of bed sores. The bed is to be used on top of a regular mattress. The air bed contains air cavities which fill up alternately in a 5 – 6-minute cycle. This results in the weight of the body being borne by different parts of the mattress at different times, ensuring that no part of the body is constantly in touch with the mattress. This allows for proper air circulation to all parts of the body and prevents the formation of bed sores.
- Orthopaedic Leg Support – While an elevated leg support promotes healing, improperly elevating the legs can have negative effects. To avoid this use a specially designed orthopaedic leg support that supports knees, legs, and heel while reading, sitting or sleeping without strain. It provides relief from knee stiffness, sciatic leg pain, restless sleep, and insomnia. This is the only Orthopaedic appliance which is ideal for preventing varicose veins, swollen ankles, phlebitis and edema.
- Compact Bed-top Table – This is particularly useful for seniors who spend long hours in bed. This compact bed top allows them to read/write/eat in bed. It is 100% portable, fold-able and can be used as over bed dining, laptop & study table. It is durable and compact design for quick set-up and has strong plastic handle for carrying when folded.
- Compression socks – Varicose Vein Stockings provide controlled compression to the legs to squeeze the veins thereby ensuring the normal back flow of blood towards the heart. As a result, blood is forced along its natural course up the leg despite the damage to the veins (since a fluid flows from a higher-pressure area to a lower pressure area).
- Personal Care Products – Hygiene is very important to prevent infection, especially after a surgery. There are several products that helps to maintain hygiene in those with limited mobility and the bed ridden. These include adult diapers, wet wipes, examination gloves, silicon sheet to cover bed for patients with incontinence, urine cans and bed pans.
Where to source these products?
Sourcing all these can become a daunting task, check out ‘The Old is Gold Store’, speciality Store offering an assortment of products & services exclusive to senior citizens. Apart from the above, you will find several products that make your older adult’s life easier.